Now that we’ve gone through the beginner’s guide for The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth, it’s time to go more in depth with some tips and tricks that will improve our strategy, the Might of our cities and eventually help us achieve a lot more from the game.
There are many things to consider in The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth and probably many different approaches that would work just as well, but I will share the one that seemed to be the best for me – and a few The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth tips that I have learned from my own mistakes, so that you won’t repeat them. So let’s check out this Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth strategy below!
1. Get the most out of your Protection period! This is probably the most important part of the game, where the base of your city is built and if it’s not done properly, you might have a tough time ahead. So be as active as possible during this period and build as much as possible!
2. Don’t start building up your army as soon as you get your barracks up, this is just nonsense! You can’t be attacked and can’t attack during the first 7 days, so there’s no need to have troops just eating your food. Start heavy training of troops when there are 2 days left of protection: 4 barracks of highest possible level should be enough to turn you into a force once you’re out of protection!
3. Hide your troops! From the keep, you can select if you should keep your troops hidden (no losses if you get attacked) or not. Hidden troops are better at first when big cities will start to farm on you and there’s no point in losing them – it will be even harder to build them afterwards! So build up a decent army first, and only afterwards start defending your city and never hide them again!
4. Focus on resource gathering at first! Resources are really important, so these should be your focus of upgrade, especially during the 7 days of protection. If you only have one city, it’s best to keep things even. Food comes first, then the other resources. Your goal should be to get out of protection with all your resource producing buildings at level 6!
5. Lots of homes!
Many homes mean many people to train into soldiers and until that happens, many people to increase the gold in your city. It’s better to have more houses and lower tax rates than vice-versa because this way you will still get more money and resources and people to turn into warriors.
6. Don’t use your heroes too soon!
One of my biggest mistakes at first was to give a boost of XP to one of my heroes (turning him into a level 10 hero) and have him give us some bonuses. But since the city was producing very little, the bonuses given were hardly worth the amount of gold spent – 200 per hour. So until you’re pretty big and have a solid production, there’s no reason to upgrade or even attach your heroes for bonuses. You’d lose more than you’d gain!
7. Join an Alliance
You can’t make it (at least not for long) on your own, and you should get into an alliance. The best would be to try and get an alliance that is very active and high in the charts, but this also means that you should be as active as them. However, any alliance is better than none, so make sure you enter an alliance and start being a team player sooner rather than later.
You should capture some wilds – it’s pretty easy always, but make sure to always scout before – and get them based on the needs of your city.
9. Farm on Goblin Camps
These are very good places to get many resources and goods with little losses and without the risk of upsetting other players and having them and their alliance attack you. It’s better to attack level 1 to level 6 Goblin camps in order to minimize the losses.
10. Sit back and have fun
The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth is not a game to “win” very fast – it requires a lot of time and commitment, so don’t try to rush things. Just have fun playing it and build your city slower – or faster, if you can – but at your own rate. When it stops being fun, it should not be played and this title is a really fun one after all!
And these would be my The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth tips and tricks for a better strategy. Let us know about your advanced strategies playing the game in the comment section below!